Over 300 engineering students are among the 1900 students graduating this week from UBC Okanagan.
“Convocation is always a special time for our students and faculty, and this year is no exception,” says Rehan Sadiq, Executive Associate Dean of the School of Engineering. The methods in recognizing this year’s graduates through ceremonies and award receptions will be a little different this year as all these events will be virtual with UBC following the Public Health Authority guidelines.
The virtual convocation ceremony takes place June 17, 2020 at 3pm with the School’s Awards of Excellence being released across social media channels at 4:30pm (link). There is a pre-convocation event that starts at 2:30pm.
At this year’s virtual convocation, UBC’s Okanagan campus will confer 246 BASc (71 Civil, 65 Electrical, 110 Mechanical with 13 COSC Minors and 3 MGMT Minors), 25 MEng, 37 MASc, and 17 PhD degrees.
You can review the graduate-level citations at https://gradstudies.ok.ubc.ca/doctoralcitations/.
Every year, the School recognizes student academic and leadership excellence with program and faculty awards. This year’s award recipients include:
- Tyler Ho – UBC Head of Class Gold Medal & EGBC Overall Certificate (awarded to the student with the highest Academic Standing)
- Stormy Howard – EGBC Civil Certificate
- Abdulwahab Salem Elramli – EGBC Electrical Certificate
- Joel Hunter – EGBC Mechanical Certificate & the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering (CSME) Gold Medal
- Capstone Group 38 (Applying Machine Vision & AI to Maritime Transportation) team members: Ali Jalil, Ella Lin, Jacky Lin, Larry Staecey and Hung Ting Tsai – Doug and Ruth Pearce Engineering Capstone Prize
- Holly Denby – Dr. Spiro Yannacopoulos Memorial Award in Engineering Leadership
- Andrew Pipke – Gordon Springate Sr. Award in Engineering
The School sent all graduates, at the undergraduate and graduate levels, a special token to recognize their accomplishments. The newest members of AlumniUBC will receive a School of Engineering scarf in the coming days and weeks.
One response to “The School of Engineering celebrates the class of 2020”
Congratulations SoE class of 2020! Many among you were my first batch of students in 2016. Although I can’t meet you in person, I can imagine the joy in all of you.