WHO WE ARE
The School of Engineering is an integral part of the Faculty of Applied Science at UBC. It was founded in 2005 to address a need identified by industry leaders and academics in the Okanagan. Today, the School of Engineering offers four undergraduate programs in civil, electrical, manufacturing, and mechanical engineering and three levels of graduate programs (MEng, MASc, PhD) that continue to respond to the demands of local, national, and global communities.
- The School of Engineering is among the fastest growing post-secondary engineering programs in Canada
- Located in Kelowna, British Columbia, the School is an innovation hub for research and learning
- In 2005, the first cohort of students numbered 67 taught by 5 faculty, and supported by 1 staff
- Since 2013, enrollment has nearly doubled from 963 (805 undergraduate / 158 graduate students) to 2047 (1708 undergraduate / 339 graduate students) in 2020
- 17% of the undergraduate population is female and 23% of the graduate population
- Indigenous student registration has risen 22% since 2016
- 83% of undergraduate students are domestic while 69% of graduate students are international
- International students at the School of Engineering represent 59 countries (Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Brazil, Bulgaria, China, Colombia, Democratic Republic Congo, Cuba, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, France, Ghana, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, South Korea, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Macao, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Nepal, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Philippines, Portugal, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, United Republic of Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Viet Nam, Yemen and Zimbabwe).
- 246 undergraduates and 45 graduate level students received their degrees in 2020.
Message from leadership
The School of Engineering is fast-approaching a pivotal juncture in our growth. While we celebrate the many contributions of our students, faculty and staff, it is important that we continue to look forward and strive to build upon those successes. Our vision is to be recognized for world-class academic and multi-disciplinary research that improves the social well-being of our community, province, country and planet.
Our students are our priority, and we continue to strive to make the student experience at the School of Engineering exceptional. As a rapidly expanding faculty, we are focused on ensuring that we maintain and foster our excellent learning and research environment.
Rehan Sadiq, Executive Associate Dean, School of Engineering
It is an exciting time to be part of the School of Engineering as we continue to grow, increasing enrolment, diversity, and programs of study. As we look ahead, we envision expanding our contributions to innovation in the Okanagan and beyond. Regional and international partnerships and collaborations prepare our students to be highly skilled and responsible researchers and professionals.