Apologies, but no results were found.
Graduate student supervisor
Cooling technologies for electronics; Thermal/fluid sciences in sustainable energy systems; Fluid instabilities and multiphase flows
Courses & Teaching
Heat & Mass Transfer; Fluid Mechanics; Multiphase Flows; Thermal Management of Electronics
Dr. Li’s research focuses on fundamentals and applied technologies in the field of experimental thermofluidics.
Dr. Li received four years training on fluid transmission and control technologies at Beijing Institute of Technology, In the MUSSL lab at UofT, Dr. Li spent two years researching spray and atomization, and another four years studying inkjet printing and drop-surface interactions. His Ph.D. research was sponsored by Xerox, which was related to solid-ink printing technologies. Prior to joining the School of Engineering at The University of British Columbia, Dr. Li worked at GE Global Research Center, where his reserach centered on thermofluidics and interfacial sciences in thermal management and cooling technologies. From 2007 to 2012, Dr. Li was a registered Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers Ontario, and currently he is a registered Professional Engineer with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C..
PhD - Mechanical Engineering (University of Toronto)
MASc - Mechanical Engineering (University of Toronto)
Research Interests & Projects
- Advanced liquid/air cooling technologies for electronics
Thermal/fluid sciences in sustainable energy systems
Fluid instabilities and multiphase flows
Interfacial phenomena of nano & micro surfaces
Thermofluidics in micro devices and systems
Selected Publications & Presentations
- G. Xuan, R. Li, “Experimental and analytical study of transient convection at film flow-wall interface using infrared thermography,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 145, 106023 (2019).
- Y.D. Cao, G. Xuan, R. Li, “A liquid plug moving in an annular pipe – Heat transfer analysis,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 139, 1065–1076 (2019).
- Y.D. Cao, R. Li, “A liquid plug moving in an annular pipe—Flow analysis,” Physics of Fluids 30, 093605 (2018). (Editor’s pick)
- X. Gao, R. Li, “Impact of a drop burst flow on a film flow cooling a hot surface,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 126, 1193–1205 (2018).
- X. Gao, R. Li, “Effects of nozzle positioning on single-phase spray cooling,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 115, 1247–1257 (2017).
- X. Gao, L. Kong, R. Li, J. Han, ” Heat transfer of single drop impact on a film flow cooling a hot surface,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 108, 1068-1077 (2017).
- L. Kong, X. Gao, R. Li, J. Han, “Bubbles in curved tube flows – an experimental study,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 105, 180–188 (2017).
- N. Moallemi, R. Li, K. Mehravaran, “Breakup of capillary jets with different disturbances,” Physics of Fluids 28, 012101 (2016).
- B. Mohajer, R. Li, “Circular hydraulic jump on finite surfaces with capillary limit,” Physics of Fluids 27, 117102 (2015).
- X, Gao, R. Li, “Impact of a single drop on a flowing liquid film,” Physical Review E 92, 053005 (2015).
- R. Li, W. D. Gerstler, M. Arik, B. Vanderploeg, “Heat transfer impact of synthetic jets for air-cooled array of fins,” Journal of Heat Transfer 138, 021702 (2015).
- R. A. Rana, R. Li. “Thermal protection from a finite period of heat exposure–Heat survival of flight data recorders,” Applied Thermal Engineering 75, 748-755 (2015).
- X. Gao, R. Li, “Spread and recoiling of liquid droplets impacting solid surfaces,” AIChE Journal 60(7), 2683–2691 (2014).
- R. Li, Y. Shan, “Contact Angle and Local Wetting at Contact Line,” Langmuir 28, 15624−15628 (2012).
- A. Alizadeh, V. Bahadur, S. Zhong, W. Shang, R. Li et al., “Temperature Dependent Droplet Impact Dynamics on Flat and Textured Surfaces,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 111601 (2012).
- A. Alizadeh, M. Yamada, R. Li, W. Shang et al., “Dynamics of Ice Nucleation on Water Repellent Surfaces,” Langmuir 28, 3180-3186 (2012).
- R. Li, A. Alizadeh, W. Shang, “Adhesion of Liquid Droplets to Rough Surfaces,” Physical Review E 82, 041608, (2010).
R. Li, N. Ashgriz, S. Chandra, “Maximum Spread of Droplet on Solid Surface: Low Reynolds and Weber Numbers,” Journal of Fluids Engineering 132, 061302, (2010).
R. Li, N. Ashgriz, S. Chandra, J. R. Andrews, S. Drappel “Coalescence of Two Droplets Impacting a solid surface,” Experiments in Fluids 48(6), 1025-1035, (2010).
R. Li, N. Ashgriz, S. Chandra, J. R. Andrews, “Contraction of Free Liquid Ligaments,” AIChE Journal 54(12), 3084-3091 (2008).
R. Li, N. Ashgriz, S. Chandra, “Droplet Generation from Pulsed Micro-jets,” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 32, 1679-1686 (2008).
- R. Li, N. Ashgriz, “Edge Instability and Velocity of Liquid Sheets,” Atomization and Sprays 17(1), 71-91 (2007).
R. Li, N. Ashgriz, “Characteristics of Liquid Sheets Formed by two Impinging Jets,” Physics of Fluids 18, 087104, (2006).
- R. Li, “Bioinspired icephobicity,” in: T. Deng (ed.) Bioinspired Engineering of Thermal Materials, (225-239), 2018 © John Wiley & Sons (https://doi.org/10.1002/9783527687596.ch10)
- R. Li, Y. Shan, “Local Wetting at Contact Line on Textured Hydrophobic Surfaces,” in: K.L. Mittal (ed.) Advances in Contact Angle, Wettability and Adhesion, (73–86), 2013 © Scrivener Publishing LLC (DOI: 10.1002/9781118795620.ch4)
- R. Li, N. Ashgriz, S. Chandra, J. R. Andrews and S. Drappel, “Apparent Solidification Contact Angles of Micro-droplets Deposited on Solid Surfaces,” in: K. L. Mittal (ed.) Contact Angle, Wettability and Adhesion, Volume 5, (25–46), 2008 © CRC Press (Print ISBN: 978-90-04-15864-1; eBook ISBN: 978-90-474-2999-9)