Apologies, but no results were found.
Signal processing for wireless location; Indoor positioning; Wi Fi positioning;
Optical positioning techniques
Courses & Teaching
APSC 177 - Engineering Computation; APSC 248 - Engineering Analysis III; ENGR 303 - Engineering Project Management; ENGR 359 - Microcomputer Engineering; ENGR 361 - Signals and Communications Systems; ENGR 553 - Signal Estimation Theory
Professor Richard Klukas has engineering experience in both academic and industrial contexts. Prior to UBC Okanagan, he held faculty positions at the University of Calgary and Okanagan University College. In his teaching experience, Dr. Klukas has taught a wide variety of topics in the areas of physics, geomatics and electrical engineering. He also has industrial experience with Nortel and Cell-Loc Inc., a high-tech company which was started to commercialize his PhD work. During his tenure at Cell-Loc Inc., Dr. Klukas was the Director of Research and the General Manager of the company’s U.S. office in Dallas, Texas. Dr. Klukas has written numerous papers on wireless positioning and holds four patents in that area. He is a registered, professional engineer in British Columbia.
PhD – Geomatics Engineering (University of Calgary)
MSc – Electrical and Computer Engineering (University of Calgary)
BSc – Electrical and Computer Engineering (University of Calgary)
Research Interests & Projects
Location information adds value to a number of systems and services. Although global navigation satellite systems such as GPS perform well in many circumstances, there are environments and situations in which other technologies may hold an advantage. Current research focuses on the use of optical, ultrawideband, and WiFi signals and sensors for indoor positioning and navigation. Investigation of methods for integrating various indoor positioning technologies is also underway. A parallel field of investigation is vehicle to vehicle ranging systems.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Bergen, M., Arafa, A., Jin, X., Klukas, R., Holzman, J., Characteristics of Angular Precision and Dilution of Precision for Optical Wireless Positioning, IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 33, No. 20, Oct. 15, 2015, pp. 4253-4260.
- Arafa, A., Jin, X., Bergen, M.H., Klukas, R., Holzman, J.F., Characterization of Image Receivers for Optical Wireless Location Technology, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, DOI:10.1109/LPT.2015.2446892, Vol. 27, Issue 18, Sept. 15, 2015, pp. 1923-1926.
- Arafa, A., Dalmiya, S., Klukas, R., Holzman, J.F., Angle-of-Arrival Reception for Optical Wireless Location Technology, Optics Express, DOI:10.1364/OE.23.007755, Vol. 23, Issue 6, Mar. 23, 2015, pp. 7755-7766.
- Jin, X. , Guerrero, D., Klukas, R., Holzman, J.F., Microlenses with Tuned Focal Characteristics for Optical Wireless Imaging,Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 105, No. 3, 031102, 2014, 5 pages.
- Sadi, F., Klukas, R., Hoskinson, R., Precise Air Time Determination of Athletic Jumps with Low Cost MEMS Inertial Sensors using Multiple Attribute Decision Making, Sports Technology, DOI:10.1080/19346182.2013.817058, Vol. 6, No. 2, 2013, pp. 63-77.
- Sadi, F., Johnson, T., Klukas, R., Simulation of a Non-Coherent UWB Transceiver Design – Noise and Impairment Analysis,International Journal of Ultra Wideband Communications and Systems, DOI:10.1504/IJUWBCS.2012.054380, Vol. 2, No. 4, 2012, pp. 216-224.
- Sadi, F., Klukas, R., Reliable jump detection for snow sports with low-cost MEMS inertial sensors, Sports Technology, DOI:10.1080/19346182.2012.708974, 2012, 18 pages.
- Arafa, A., Jin, X., Klukas, R., Wireless Indoor Optical Positioning with a Differential Photosensor, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 24, No. 12, 2012, pp. 1027-1029.
- Sadi, F., Klukas, R., New jump trajectory determination method using low cost MEMS sensor fusion and augmented observations for GPS/INS integration, GPS Solutions, Springer, 2012, DOI 10.1007/s10291-012-0267-7, 14 pages.
- MacGougan, G.D., O’Keefe, K.P., Klukas, R.W., Accuracy and reliability of tightly-coupled GPS/Ultra-wideband positioning for surveying in urban environments, GPS Solutions, Springer, 2010, DOI 10.1007/s10291-009-0158-8, 14 pages.
- MacGougan, G., O’Keefe, K., Klukas, R., Tightly-coupled GPS/UWB Integration, The Journal of Navigation, Royal Institute of Navigation, Vol. 63, No. 1, January 2010, pp. 1-22.
- Shafiee, M., Klukas, R., Joint Access Point and User Localization Using Unlabeled WiFi RSS Data, Proceedings of IEEE/ION PLANS 2016, Savannah, Georgia, April 11-14, 2016, session C5, 6 pages.
- Bergen, M. H., Guerrero, D., Jin, X., Hristovski, B. A., Chaves, H., Klukas, R. and Holzman, J. F., Design and Optimization of Indoor Optical Wireless Positioning Systems, Proceedings of SPIE 9754, Photonic Instrumentation Engineering III, 97540A, San Francisco, USA, February 13-18, 2016, DOI:10.1117/12.2208722,11 pages.
- Ahmed, R., Wilton, S., Hallschmid, P., Klukas, R., Hierarchical Dynamic Power-Gating in FPGAs, Proceedings of the 11thSymposium in Applied Reconfigurable Computing, Bochum, Germany, April 13 – 17, 2015, Session 1, pp. 27-38.
- Shafiee, M., Klukas, R., Improved WiFi Access Point Localization Using RSS Gradient, Proceedings of the Institute of Navigation ITM Conference, Dana Point, California, January 26-28, 2015, Session B3, 9 pages.
- Ahmed, R., Bsoul, A. A. M., Wilton, S.J.E., Hallschmid, P., Klukas, R., High-Level Synthesis-based Design Methodology for Dynamic Power-Gated FPGAs, Proceedings of 24th International Conference on Field Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL), Munich Germany, September 2 – 4, 2014, Poster Session 4, DOI: 10.1109/FPL.2014.6927433, 4 pages.
- Arafa, A., Jin, X., Guerrero, D., Klukas, R., Holzman, J. F., Imaging Sensors for Optical Wireless Location Technology, Proceedings of GNSS+ 2013, The Institute of Navigation, Nashville, Tennessee, September 16 – 20, 2013, Session E2, pp. 1020-1023.
- Jin, X., Guerrero, D., Klukas. R., Holzman, J.F., Micro-Optical Elements for Optical Wireless Applications, Proceedings ofSPIE Optics + Photonics Symposium, San Diego, California, United States, August 25 – 29, 2013, vol. 8841, pp. 88410L(1-6).
- Arafa, A., Klukas, R., Holzman, J.F., Jin, X., Towards a Practical Indoor Lighting Positioning System, Proceedings of GNSS 2012, The Institute of Navigation, Nashville, Tennessee, September 17 – 21, 2012, Session F4.
- Islam, S., Klukas, R., Indoor Positioning Through Integration of Optical Angles of Arrival and an Inertial Measurement Unit, Proceedings of PLANS 2012, the IEEE/ION Position, Location, and Navigation Symposium, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, April 24 – 26, 2012, Session A3.
- Arafa, A., Jin, X., Klukas, R., A Differential Photosensor for Indoor Optical Wireless Positioning, Proceedings of GNSS 2011, The Institute of Navigation, Portland, Oregon, September 20 – 23, 2011, Session A3, pp. 1758-1763.
- Sadi, F., Klukas, R., Milani, A.S., A Network Selection and Optimization Approach for Ground-based Positioning Systems, Proceedings of GNSS 2010, The Institute of Navigation, Portland, Oregon, September 21 – 24, 2010, Session F2, pp. 1166-1174.
- Muthuraman, K., Borio, D., Klukas, R., Lachapelle, G., Adaptive Data/Pilot Carrier Phase Tracking for Modernized GNSS Signals, Proceedings of ITM (International Technical Meeting) 2010, The Institute of Navigation, San Diego, California, January 25 – 27, 2010, Session C2, pp. 736-749.