Apologies, but no results were found.
Mechanical, ManufacturingOther Titles: Associate Director, Research and Industry Partnerships
Graduate student supervisor
Advanced characterization of materials; New alloy development; Manufacturing processes
Courses & Teaching
Manufacturing processes; Fundamental and advanced topics in materials science; Professional development (law and ethics for engineers)
Dr. Lukas Bichler received his Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering (specializing in Manufacturing, Materials and Solid Mechanics) from Ryerson University, Toronto. Upon graduation, he received NSERC-Postdoctoral fellowship, tenured at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Toronto.
NSERC - Postdoctoral Fellow (U. of Toronto)
Ph.D. – Mechanical Engineering (Ryerson University)
M.A.Sc. – Mechanical Engineering (Ryerson University)
B.Eng. – Aerospace Engineering (Ryerson University)
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Bichler established two laboratories at UBC focusing on multi-process approach to materials development:
1) Metalcasting laboratory for advancement of magnesium and aluminum alloys:
- The laboratory-scale foundry is equipped with melting furnaces, heat treatment furnaces, thermal analysis equipment, data acquisition software, permanent and hot tearing molds, optical microscopy with image analysis software, mechanical testing equipment and hardness testers
- Research on the characterization and modification of materials and their properties via advanced techniques (e.g., neutron and X-ray diffraction, TEM, EBSD, SEM, TGA/DSC).
- Production of novel grain refiners and in-situ composites for Al and Mg-based alloy systems
2) Spark plasma sintering laboratory for advanced ceramic, metallic, nano and functionally graded materials and composites:
- The laboratory is equipped with Thermal Technologies 10-3 SPS system (max. sintering temperature 2500C in Ar/He), as well as glove boxes, high energy planetary ball mill, ultrasonic baths, hardness testing equipment, powder particle analyzers and environmental chambers
- Research on the fabrication of ceramic materials for thermal insulation applications (Yttria Stabilized Zirconia), semiconductor applications (ZnO), thermoelectric applications (Mg2Si)
- Development of nano composites with rare-earth dopants (e.g., CeO2, Nd2O3, La2O3), nanoreinforcements (e.g., Carbon Nanotubes) and particulate reinforcements (e.g., SiC, TiC)
- Development of functionally graded materials and ceramic additives for treatment of liquid metals
- Fundamental studies on SPS processing of materials
Selected Publications & Presentations
- A. Siebert-Timmer, K. Mondal and L. Bichler, 2014, “Degradation of SPS fabricated YSZ and CeO2-YSZ ceramics in supercritical water”, Int. J. of Applied Ceram. Tech., Accepted (Sept. 2014)
- K. Robles, K. Mondal and L. Bichler, 2014, “Compressive creep behavior of spark plasma sintered 8mol% Yttria stabilized cubic zirconia”, J. of Mater. Eng. and Performance, In Press.
- V. Kumar, D. Sediako, L. Bichler, 2014, “Effect of chill parameters on the residual strain in cast 319 aluminum alloy: A neutron diffraction study”, SAE Int. J. Mater. Manufact., Vol. 7, No. 2.
- A. Karanam, V. Kumar and L. Bichler, 2014, “Effect of SPS process parameters on the densification behavior of Yttria stabilized zirconia“, SAE Int. J. Mater. Manufact., Vol. 7, No. 2.
- K. Robles, K. Akkiraju, L. Bichler and K. Mondal, 2014, “Fabrication of novel (5, 10 and 15 mol% CeO2 + YSZ ceramic composites by Spark Plasma Sintering”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 169-175.
- K. Robles, K. Mondal and L. Bichler, 2013, “Creep of La2O3 + YSZ composite”, Ceramics International, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2013.08.086.
- A. Azad, A. Elsayed and L. Bichler, 2013, “Effect of a novel Al-SiC grain refiner on the microstructure and properties of AZ91E Mg alloy”, Int. J. of Metalcasting, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 49 – 59.
- K. D. Robles Arellano, L. Bichler, K. Akkiraju, R. Fong and K. Mondal, 2013, “Densification of Spark Plasma Sintered La2O3 – YSZ ceramic composites”, Ceramics International.
- M. Alemi-Ardakani, A. S. Milani, S. Yannacopoulos, L. Bichler, D. TrudelBoucher, G. Shokouhi, H. Borazghi, 2013, “Microtomographic analysis of impact damage in FRP composite laminates: A comparative study”, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 2013, ID#521860.
- A. Siebert-Timmer, M. Fletcher, L. Bichler and D. Sediako, 2013, “Creep Performance of wrought AX30 and EZ33 magnesium alloys”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 4, pp. 430-438
- A.S. Abd-El-Aziz, S. Sezgin Dalgakiran, L. Bichler, 2012, “Novel synthesis and electropolymerization of metallo-conjugated thiophene derivatives”, European Polymer Journal, Vol. 48, No. 11, pp. 1901 – 1913.
- M. Fletcher, A. Siebert-Timmer, L. Bichler and D. Sediako, 2012, “Evolution of Strain and Microstructure during Creep of Wrought AE42 and ZE10 Magnesium Alloys”, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, DOI: 10.1007/s12666-012-0200-3.
- A.S. Abd-El-Aziz, S. Sezgin and L. Bichler, 2011, “Design of organoiron-containing polyethers/thioethers and polysiloxanes, enroute to micro- and nano-sized materials”, Polymer preprints, Vol. 52, No. 2, p. 763 – 765.
- A.S. Abd-El-Aziz, D. J. Winram, P. O. Shipman, S. Sezgin, P. Shipley, L. Bichler and B. Patrick, 2011, “Micro and nano-sized polysiloxanes containing organoiron moieties”, New Journal of Chemistry, DOI: 10.1039/c1nj20477g, Royal Society of Chemistry (8 pages).
- L. Bichler, F. D’Elia, C. Ravindran and D. Sediako, 2010, “Reduction of hot tears: alloy and casting optimization using neutron diffraction”, SAE Int. J. of Mater. Manuf., Vol. 3(1), pp. 484 – 492.