Apologies, but no results were found.
Mechanical, School of EngineeringEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interfacial mechanics; Polymers; Textiles; Sustainability; Additive manufacturing; Coatings
Dr. Golovin holds several patents and has published and presented extensively in the field of material science. His work on icephobic surfaces has appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Chemistry World, The London Telegraph, and Science Magazine. Along with a team of business students, he received the first-place grand prize at the 2016 Patagonia Eco Innovation Case Competition.
Dr. Golovin’s diverse research team is investigating next-generation surface science with a focus on addressing energy and sustainability challenges. His research group explores high-impact engineering using a multidisciplinary, fundamentals-based research approach.
Dr. Golovin’s research group is always looking for highly motivated students to join. Interested students should send Dr. Golovin an email including (1) whether they require funding, (2) their CV, and (3) a cover letter. Interested postdoctoral scholars should additionally include a potential project outline. Due to the volume of emails received, only potentially successful applicants will be contacted.
For the latest information, check out the Recent News page on Dr. Golovin’s group website.
PhD – (Materials Science & Engineering) University of Michigan
MSc – (Materials Science & Engineering) University of Michigan
BSc – (Materials Science & Engineering) Cornell University
Research Interests & Projects
- Designing durable anti-icing coatings
- Developing frost and snow repellent textiles
- Imparting oil repellency to textiles without the use of perfluorinated compounds
- Anti-mosquito paint for effective malaria prevention
- Developing omniphobic glass and aluminum
- Improved chemical resistance of textiles
- Understanding ballistic fibre performance
- Novel approaches to additive manufacturing
- Developing high-strength, hydrophobic paper
Selected Publications & Presentations
- S. Shabanian, B. Khatir, A. Nisar, and K. Golovin, “Rational design of perfluorocarbon-free oleophobic textiles.” Nature Sustainability, (2020).
- K. Golovin, A. Dhyani, M. Thouless, and A. Tuteja, “Low-interfacial toughness materials for effective large-scale deicing.” Science, Vol. 364, Issue 6438, pp. 371-375 (2019).
- K. Golovin and A. Tuteja, “A Predictive Framework for the Design and Fabrication of Icephobic Polymers.” Science Advances, 3, e1701617 (2017)
- K. Golovin, S. P. R. Kobaku, E. T. DiLoreto, J. M. Mabry, and A. Tuteja, “Designing Durable Icephobic Surfaces”. Science Advances, 2, 3, e1501496 (2016).
Dr. Golovin’s Google Scholar page
Dr. Golovin’s ResearchGate page
Research Cluster in Comfort-Enhancing Technologies: Cluster Lead
UBC Survive and Thrive Applied Research (STAR): Management Committee
Materials and Manufacturing Research Institute (MMRI): Member
BioProducts Institute (BPI): Member
UBC Green College: Leading Scholar 2018 – 2020
Listen to @CBCKelowna interview, from Thursday morning, with @UBCOSOE assistant professor Kevin Golovin discussing his superhydrophobic research.
Posted by UBC Engineering – Okanagan on Friday, July 13, 2018