Apologies, but no results were found.
Graduate student supervisor
Optoelectronic sensors; micro-sensors for lab-on-a-chip applications; photonic device technologies; terahertz technologies.
Courses & Teaching
Fibre-optics and photonics; micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS); semiconductor devices and electromagnetics.
Dr. Holzman received his Ph.D. from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Alberta in 2003. In 2004-2005, he carried out research in ultrafast all-optical switching as an NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow in the High-Speed Electronics and Photonics Group at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zürich, Switzerland. He is now a Professor in the School of Engineering at the University of British Columbia’s Okanagan campus and group leader of the Integrated Optics Laboratory.
PDF - Electrical Engineering (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich)
PhD - Electrical Engineering (University of Alberta)
BSc - Engineering Physics (University of Alberta)
Research Interests & Projects
Dr. Holzman’s research on integrated optics largely targets the shortcomings of contemporary fibre-optic technologies. The group has developed systems for optical wireless links, to enable high-speed optical communication with wireless connectivity, and they have developed systems for all-optical processing, to overcome the electronic bottlenecks in modern optical networks.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- 1. A. Olutayo, J. Cheng, and J. F. Holzman, “Performance bounds for diversity receptions over a new fading model with arbitrary branch correlation,” EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, accepted, 2020.
- I. R. Hristovski, N. I. Lesack, L. A. Herman, and J. F. Holzman, “Urbach-edge-assisted electro-absorption for enhanced free-space optical modulation,” Optics Letters, vol. 45, pp. 2478-2481, 2020.
- N. V. Fredeen, N. I. Lesack, A. Ciocoiu, A. M. Garner, W. Zandburg, A. Jirasek, and J. F. Holzman, “The dynamic morphology of glucose as expressed via Raman and terahertz spectroscopy,” OSA Continuum, vol. 3, pp. 515-527, 2020.
- N. I. Lesack, N. V. Fredeen, A. Jirasek, and J. F. Holzman, “A methodology for dynamic material characterizations via terahertz time-domain spectroscopy,” IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, vol. 10, pp. 282-291, 2020.
- M. H. Bergen, J. Reich, T. Ho, F. Clark, M. Reid, and J. F. Holzman, “Terahertz field depolarization and absorption within composite media,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 111, pp. 04901(1-5), 2019.
- W. Yan, X. Jin, H. S. Park, A. Le Blanc, H. Abdollahi, B. Stoeber, and J. F. Holzman, “Integration and application of microlens arrays within heads-up displays,” IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 10, pp. 6601910(1-10), 2018.
- S. Alfihed, M. H. Bergen, A. Ciocoiu, J. F. Holzman, and I. G. Foulds, “Characterization and integration of terahertz technology within microfluidic platforms,” Micromachines, vol. 9, pp. 453(1-9), 2018.
- S. Alfihed, M. H. Bergen, J. F. Holzman, and I. G. Foulds, “A detailed investigation on the terahertz absorption characteristics of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS),” Polymer, vol. 153, pp. 325-330, 2018.
- Z. Wang, H. Kumar, Z. Tian, X. Jin, J. F. Holzman, F. Menard, and K. Kim, “Visible light photoinitiation of cell adhesive gelatin methacryloyl hydrogels for stereolithography 3D bioprinting,” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 10, pp. 26859-26869, 2018.
- A. B. Boivin, T. M. Westgate, and J. F. Holzman, “Design and performance analyses of solar arrays towards a metric of energy value,” RSC Sustainable Energy & Fuels, vol. 2, pp. 2090-2099, 2018.
- M. H. Bergen, F. S. Schall, R. Klukas, J. Cheng, and J. F. Holzman, “Towards the implementation of a universal angle-based optical indoor positioning system,” Frontiers of Optoelectronics, vol. 11, pp. 116-127, 2018.
- B. Born, I. R. Hristovski, S. Geoffroy-Gagnon, and J. F. Holzman, “All-optical retro-modulation for free-space optical communication,” Optics Express, vol. 26, pp. 5031-5042, 2018.
- Z. Wang, X. Jin, Z. Tian, F. Menard, J. F. Holzman, and K. Kim, “A novel, well-resolved direct laser bioprinting system for rapid cell encapsulation and microwell fabrication,” Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol. 7, pp. 1701249(1-11), 2018.
- N. Liu, J. Cheng, J. F. Holzman, “Undersampled differential phase shift on-off keying for optical camera communication,” Journal of Communications and Information Networks, vol. 2, pp. 47-56, 2017.
- M. H. Bergen, X. Jin, D. Guerrero, H. A. L. F. Chaves, N. V. Fredeen, and J. F. Holzman, “Design and implementation of an optical receiver for angle-of-arrival-based positioning,” IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 35, pp. 3877-3885, 2017.
- A. Olutayo, J. Cheng, and J. F. Holzman, “Level crossing rate and average fade duration for the Beaulieu-Xie fading model,” IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, vol. 6, pp. 326-329, 2017.
- B. Born, J. D. A. Krupa, S. Geoffroy-Gagnon, I. R. Hristovski, C. M. Collier, and J. F. Holzman, “Ultrafast charge-carrier dynamics of copper oxide nanocrystals,” ACS Photonics, vol. 3, pp. 2475-2481, 2016.
- C. M. Collier, T. J. Stirling, S. Dekock-Kruger, and J. F. Holzman, “Spectral response tuning in photoconductive terahertz emitters with binary phase masks,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 23, pp. 8500406(1-6), 2017.
- B. Born, S. Geoffroy-Gagnon, J. D. A. Krupa, I. R. Hristovski, C. M. Collier, and J. F. Holzman, “Ultrafast all-optical switching via subdiffractional photonic nanojets and select semiconductor nanoparticles,” ACS Photonics, vol. 3, pp. 1095-1101, 2016.
- L. Yang, B. Zhu, J. Cheng, and J. F. Holzman, “Free-space optical communications using on-off keying and source information transformation,” IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 34, pp. 2601-2609, 2016.
- C. M. Collier, T. J. Stirling, I. R. Hristovski, J. D. A. Krupa, and J. F. Holzman, “Photoconductive terahertz generation from textured semiconductor materials,” Scientific Reports, vol. 6, pp. 23185(1-10), 2016.
- Z. Wang, X. Jin, R. Dai, J. F. Holzman, and K. Kim, “An ultrafast hydrogel photocrosslinking method for direct laser bioprinting,” RSC Advances, vol. 6, pp. 21099-21104, 2016.
- L. Yang, X. Song, J. Cheng, and J. F. Holzman, “Free-space optical communications over lognormal fading channels using OOK with finite extinction ratios,” IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 574-584, 2016.
- M. H. Bergen, A. Arafa, X. Jin, R. Klukas, and J. F. Holzman, “Characteristics of angular precision and dilution of precision for optical wireless positioning,” IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 33, pp. 4253-4260, 2015.
- B. Born, J. D. A. Krupa, S. Geoffroy-Gagnon, and J. F. Holzman, “Integration of photonic nanojets and semiconductor nanoparticles for enhanced all-optical switching,” Nature Communications, vol. 6, pp. 8097(1-9), 2015.
- A. Arafa, X. Jin, M. H. Bergen, R. Klukas, and J. F. Holzman, “Characterization of image receivers for optical wireless location technology,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 27, pp. 1923-1926, 2015.
- L. Yang, J. Cheng, and J. F. Holzman, “Maximum likelihood estimation of the lognormal-Rician FSO communications model,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 27, pp. 1656-1659, 2015.
- X. Jin, B. A. Hristovski, C. M. Collier, S. Geoffroy-Gagnon, B. Born, and J. F. Holzman, “Ultrafast all-optical technologies for bi-directional optical wireless communications,” Optics Letters, vol. 40, pp. 1583-1586, 2015.
Selected Grants & Awards
Dr. Jonathan Holzman received the 2017 Engineers Canada Medal for Distinction in Engineering Education, the 2017 Natural Sciences and Engineering Researcher of the Year Award at UBC’s Okanagan Campus, and the 2016 APEGBC President’s Teaching Award for Excellence in Engineering & Geoscience Education.