Apologies, but no results were found.
Manufacturing, MechanicalOther Titles: Mechanical Program Chair, Ph.D., FCAE, P.Eng.; Director, Powertrain Materials Centre
Graduate student supervisor
Stress analysis in metal castings, components, and joints; Solidification, phase evolution and transformation; Lightweight alloy development for automotive and aerospace industries; Phase and structural transformation in metals; Material properties - ferrous and lightweight alloys and metal matrix composites; Ferrous and non-ferrous alloys: casting, heat treatment, and forming technologies; Thermal dynamics, heat transfer in metallurgical engineering.
Courses & Teaching
Industrial manufacturing: processes and technologies; Materials science: metals, specialty alloys, and metal matrix composites; Metallurgy: solidification and thermal processing, phase analysis, stress evolution, process optimization
After receiving PhD in Metallurgical Engineering in 1987, Dr. Sediako career extended over 30 years of R&D in steel, aluminum, and magnesium metallurgy, including 20 years in industry. In his most recent research at the Canadian Nuclear Laboratories, he has been utilizing unique properties of neutrons, allowing direct stress measurements and phase analysis inside metal parts and components. He collaborates extensively with a number of automotive manufacturers, both OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers, enabling new alloys development, stress analysis, and technology optimization for the most challenging applications. A specific focus of his research is stress characterization in automotive, aerospace, and marine powertrain components, as well as in-situ studies of solidification, phase evolution, and high temperature creep in new aluminum and magnesium alloys’ development for the transportation industries. Dr. Sediako is an author of more than 200 articles and a licensed Professional Engineer. In 2014 he was inducted into the Fellowship of the Canadian Academy of Engineering.
PhD (1987) - Mechanical Engineering / Metallurgical Engineering
Belarussian State Technical University (Belarus) and All-Russia Federal Research Institute of Metallurgical Thermal Engineering (Russia)
MEng (Honors, Summa Cum Laude) - Industrial Thermal Engineering
Belarussian State Technical University (Belarus)
Research Interests & Projects
PDF (not currently available, Inquiries won’t be answered.)
Postdoctoral Fellow, (The position is currently on hold.). Areas: advanced metallography, hydrogen embrittlement, stress and properties characterization in metal alloys and composites, modelling and simulation (FEA), phase and stress evolution in casting and welding, solid-state / friction stir welding, PTWA/EJPO plasma coating. Requirements: prior extensive experience in two or more of the listed fields.
Areas of Study
MASc & PhD level (admission is currently on hold. Inquiries won’t be answered.)
- Thin films and plasma coating technology. PTWA/EJPO processes in the automotive industry, characterization of wear resistance and oil retention.
- Development and characterization of novel high-temperature aluminum and magnesium alloys for automotive and aerospace applications.
- Stress characterization in aluminum automotive and marine powertrain components. Non-destructive stress analysis and stress mitigation for current and next-generation IC engines and transmissions.
- FE modelling of phase and stress evolution in metals casting and welding.
- Solid state / friction stir welding, microstructure and stress evolution.
- Advanced fitness-for-service characterization for commercial and novel lightweight alloys and composites.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Kozakevich*, J. Stroh*, D. Sediako, D. Weiss, A. Loukus, S. Vogel, “Elevated Temperature Creep and Tensile Performance of Extruded Mg-10Ce Alloy”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 31, iss.8, Magnesium, submitted Jan. 23rd, 2022, 22 p. JMEP-22-01-26815
- Aghaie*, J. Stroh*, D. Sediako, “Long-Term Thermal Stability of Cerium-Modified B319 Aluminum Alloy”, Metallurgical & Material Transactions A, submitted Jan. 2022, Paper #: E-ORIG-21-1348-A
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, A. Lombardi, G. Byczynski, M. Reid, A. Paradowska, “Residual Stress Evolution of Sand-Cast Aluminum Engine Blocks Manufactured with Pressed-In Iron Liners”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, accepted March 2022
- Kozakevich*, J. Stroh*, V. Mallouhi*, D. Sediako, D. Weiss, “Interplay Between Cooling Rate, Microstructure, and Mechanical Properties of an Al–Ce–Ni–Mn Alloy”, Light Metals 2022, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, D. Eskin (ed.), 8 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-92529-1_11
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, D. Weiss, “The Effects of Iron-Bearing Intermetallics on the Fitness-For-Service Performance of a Rare-Earth-Modified A356 Alloy for Next Generation Automotive Powertrains”, J. of Metals (invited), 2021, 11, 788. (impact factor 2.3) Open access:
- doi: https://doi.org/10.3390/met11050788.
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, T. Hanes, K. Anderson, and A. Monroe, “The Effects of Heat Treatment on the Microstructure and Tensile Properties of a HPDC Marine Transmission Gearcase”, J. of Metals (invited), 2021, Vol. 11(3), 517. 17 pages. (impact factor 2.3) Open access: https://doi.org/10.3390/met11030517
- Kianfar*, J. Stroh*, N. Bahramian*, D. Sediako, A. Lombardi, G. Byczynski, P. Mayr*, M. Reid, A. Paradowska, “Residual Stress Prediction in the Casting Process of Automotive Powertrain Components. In: Perander L. (eds) Light Metals 2021. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series. Springer, Cham., pp 858-864 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-65396-5_113
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, D. Weiss, “The Effect of Rare Earth Mischmetal on the High Temperature Tensile Properties of an A356 Aluminum Alloy. In: Perander L. (eds) Light Metals 2021. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series. Springer, Cham., pp 184-191 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-65396-5_27
- Sediako, J. Stroh*, S. Kianfar*, “Residual Stress in Automotive Powertrains: Methods and Analyses”, Materials Research Forum, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, 2021, Vol.1016, pp. 1291-1298 https://www.scientific.net/MSF.1016.1291
- Sina Kianfar*, E. Aghaie*, J. Stroh*, D. Sediako, and J. Tjong, “Residual Stress, Microstructure, and Mechanical Properties Analysis of HPDC Aluminum Engine Block with Cast-In Iron Liners”, Materials Today Communications, Accepted Oct. 22, 2020, available online 2 Nov.2020, (impact factor 2.8)
- Aghaie*; J. Stroh*, D. Sediako; A. Rashidi*; A. Milani, “Improving the Mechanical Properties of the B319 Aluminum Alloy by Addition of Cerium”, Materials Science & Engineering A, Structural materials : properties, microstructure and processing, 08/2020, Volume 793 (impact factor 4.7)
- doi: 10.1016/j.msea.2020.139899
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, D. Weiss, “Development of Cerium-Reinforced Specialty Aluminum Alloy with Application of X-ray and Neutron Diffraction”, International Journal of Metalcasting (467), May 2020
- doi: 10.1007/s40962-020-00467-6
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, G. Byczynski, A. Lombardi, A. Paradowska, “Stress Characterization of Bore-Chilled Sand Cast Aluminum Engine Blocks in As-Cast and T7 Condition with Application of Neutron Diffraction”. In: Tomsett A. (eds) Light Metals 2020. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series. Springer, Cham., pp. 153-157 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-36408-3_21
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, D. Weiss, V. Peterson, “In-Situ Neutron Diffraction Solidification Analyses of Rare Earth Reinforced Hypoeutectic and Hypereutectic Aluminum-Silicon Alloys”, In: Tomsett A. (eds) Light Metals 2020. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series. Springer, Cham., pp. 174-178
- Jonas Valloton*, Dieter Herlach*, H. Henein, D. Sediako, “Scandium effect on undercooling and dendrite morphology of Al-4.5wt% Cu droplets”, Materials and Metallurgical Transactions A, Vol. 50A, December 2019, pp. 5700 – 5706, (impact factor 2.3)
- Abdoul-Aziz Bogno*, H. Henein, D.G. Ivey, J. Valloton*, D. Sediako, G. Reinhart, M. Gallerneault, “Effects of Scandium on Rapid Solidified Hypo-Eutectic Aluminum Copper”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, CMQ1375R1, Nov. 2019, pp 101-115
- Eli Vandersluis*, Comondore Ravindran; Dimitry Sediako; Abdallah Elsayed; Glenn Byczynski “Strontium-Modification in the Stepwise Solidification of A319 Al Alloy: An In-Situ Neutron Diffraction Study”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 792, April 2019, pp. 240-249, (impact factor 3.8)
- Lombardi, D. Sediako, C. Ravindran, and M. Barati, “Analysis of Precipitation, Dissolution and Incipient Melting of Al2Cu in B206 Al Alloy using In-situ Neutron Diffraction”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 784 (2019) pp. 1017-1025, (impact factor 3.8)
- Stroh*, A. Piche*, D. Sediako, A. Lombardi, G. Byczynski, “The Effects of Solidification Cooling Rates on the Mechanical Properties of an Aluminum Inline-6 Engine Block”, Light Metals 2019. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series. Springer, pp. 505-512
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, “Residual Stress Characterization for Marine Gear Cases in As-Cast and T5 Heat Treated Conditions with Application of Neutron Diffraction”, Light Metals 2019, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series. Springer, pp. 395-399
- Eli Vandersluis*; Abdallah Elsayed; Francesco D’Elia; Payam Emadi*; Dimitry Sediako; Comondore Ravindran, “Crystalline Phase Solidification Analysis Using In-Situ Neutron Diffraction”, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (TIIM), (2018) 71(11):2777–2781, (impact factor 1.1)
- Sediako, J. Stroh*, A. McDougall*, and E. Aghaie*, ”Residual Stress Analysis of A362 Aluminum Alloy Gear Case Using Neutron Diffraction”, Materials Science Forum Online: 2018-12-26, ISSN: 1662-9752, Vol. 941, pp 1288-1294, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.941.1288, © 2018 Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland
- Vandersluis*, D. Sediako, P. Emadi*, C. Ravindran, A. Elsayed, G. Byczynski, “Determination of Temperature-Dependent Crystallographic Parameters of Al-Si Alloys Using In-Situ Neutron Diffraction”, Journal of Applied Crystallography, 2018, Vol. 51, pp. 1141-1150 (impact factor 3.5)
- Stroh*, D. Sediako, “Microstructure and In-Situ Solidification Analysis of Al-Ce-Mg Alloy”, Physics in Canada, 2018, (invited), Vol. 74, no. 1-2, pp. 41-44
- Vandersluis*, D. Sediako, C. Ravindran, A. Elsayed, G. Byczynski, “Analysis of Eutectic Silicon Modification During Solidification of Al-6Si Using In-Situ Neutron Diffraction”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 736 (2018), pp. 172-180. (impact factor 3.8)
- Fudger*, D. Sediako, P. Karandikar, C. Ni, “Residual Stress Induced Mechanical Property Enhancement in Steel Encapsulated Light Metal Matrix Composites”, Material Science and Engineering A, vol. 699, pp. 10-17, 2017, available online May 20, 2017, (impact factor 3.4)
- Fudger*, D. Sediako, P. Karandikar, C. Ni, “Residual StressAnalysis within Steel Encapsulated Metal Matrix Composites via Neutron Diffraction””, S. Ikhmayies et al. (eds.), Characterization of Minerals, Metals, and Materials 2017, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, pp. 405-413, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-51382-9_44
- Jonas Valloton*, Dieter Herlach*, Hani Henein, and Dimitry Sediako, “Microstructural quantification of rapidly solidified undercooled D2 tool steel”, Materials and Metallurgical Transactions A, October 2017, Volume 48, Issue 10, pp 4735–4743 (impact factor 2.0)
- Smith*, J.-B. Levesque*, L. Bichler, D. Sediako, J. Gholipour, P. Wanjara, “Residual stress analysis in linear friction welded in-service Inconel 718 superalloy via neutron diffraction and contour method approaches”, Materials Science & Engineering A, , Vol. 691, 2017, pp. 168–179 Available online 10 March 2017, (impact factor 3.5)
- Lombardi*, E. Vandersluis*, D. Sediako, C. Ravindran, “Neutron Diffraction Analysis of Light Alloys: A Review”, Materials Science Forum, Vol. 879, 2017, pp. 1558-1563
- Lombardi, A. Elsayed, D. Sediako, C. Ravindran, “Analysis of the Solidification Characteristics of a 319 Type Al Alloy using In-situ Neutron Diffraction”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 695 (2017), pp. 2628-2636 (impact factor 3.8)
- Lombardi*, D. Sediako, A. Machin, C. Ravindran, R. MacKay, “Effect of solution heat treatment on residual stress in Al alloy engine blocks using neutron diffraction”, Materials Science & Engineering A, (2017), 0921-5093/ © 2016 Published by Elsevier Ltd. Volume 697, 14 June 2017, pp. 238–247 (impact factor 3.5)
- Smith*, L. Bichler, D. Sediako, “Measurement of Residual Stresses in Linear Friction Welded In-Service Inconel 718 Superalloy”, Materials Science Forum, ISSN: 1662-9752, Vol. 879, pp 1800-1806, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.879.1800, Online: 2016-11-15
- Sediako, W. Kasprzak, F. Czerwinski, A. Nabawy*, A. Farkoosh*, “High Temperature Creep Evolution In Al-Si Alloys Developed for Automotive Powertrain Applications A Neutron In-Situ Study on hkl-Plane Creep Response”, LIGHT METALS 2016, pp. 131–136, DOI: 10.1002/9781119274780.ch23
- Huang*, J. Moraes, D. Sediako, J. Jordon , H. Guo, X. Su, “Finite Element and Residual Stress Analysis of Self-piercing Riveting in Dissimilar Metal Sheets”, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, online August 15, 2016, February 2017, Vol. 139 / pp. 021007 1-11; doi:10.1115/1.4034437 (impact factor 3.5)
- CAE Fellow (elected), Canadian Academy of Engineering, inducted June 2014
- Member (elected), Science Council, The Canadian Institute for Neutron Scattering (CINS). 2016/10 – current
The Canadian Institute for Neutron Scattering (CINS) promotes scientific research using neutron beams. The members include individuals and institutions, totalled 400 individuals from over 40 Canadian institutions from 7 provinces, and over 60 university departments from 32 universities. The membership also includes 150 individuals from over 80 foreign institutions from 19 countries.
- Member (elected), Light Metals Committee, Metallurgical Society (MetSoc) of Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM). 2012/10 – current