Sumi Siddiqua, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Ph.D. – Civil Engineering (Cardiff University, United Kingdom)
Master of Engineering – Engineering and Applied Geology (Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand)
B.Sc. – Civil Engineering (Khulna University of Engineering & Technology, Bangladesh)
Dr Siddiqua has received more than two years of experience in experimental studies on engineered barrier materials while working as a Post-doctoral fellow at the geotechnical laboratory of University of Manitoba. In her postdoctoral project she worked in collaboration with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) and Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO). Her work has contributed to the research and development of identifying suitable barrier material of high toxic nuclear waste repository. In her Ph.D., she was involved in research on numerical modeling of the thermo-hydro-mechanical behaviour of unsaturated clay. She also has work experience in Geotechnical engineering industry.
- Soil Mechanics
- Foundation Engineering
- Solid waste Engineering
- Fundamentals of Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Ground Improvement Techniques
- Numerical methods for Geotechnical Engineers
- Critical State Soil Mechanics
- Thermal-Hydraulic-Mechanical-Chemical behaviour of Unsaturated soil
- Influence of pore fluid chemistry on the behaviour of clayey material
- Deep Underground Nuclear Waste Disposal Modeling
- Contaminant Migration
- Expansive soil
- Landfill Cover System
- Soft Ground Improvement
- Sustainable infrastructure
- Man, A.G., Priyanto, D., Siddiqua, S., and Siemens, G., 2011.The effect of pore fluid chemistry on the elastic-plastic behaviour of light and dense backfill materials. Accepted for publication in the proceedings of the meeting "Nantes 2010", special issue of the journal "Physics and Chemistry of the Earth" (Elsevier Ed.)
- Siddiqua, S., Blatz, J., and Privat, N.C. 2011. Evaluating Turbulent Flow in Large Rock Fill. ASCE: Hydraulic Engineering Journal 137(11):1462-1469.
- Siddiqua, S., Blatz, J., and Siemens, G. 2011. Evaluation of pore fluid chemistry on the hydromechanical behaviour of clay-based sealing materials. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 48(2):199-213.
- Siddiqua, S., and Blatz, J., and Siemens, G. 2011. Experimental study on the performance of light and dense backfills. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 48(2):214-225.
- Thomas H.R., Siddiqua, S., and Seetharam, S.C. 2009. Inclusion of higher temperature effects in a soil behaviour model. Géotechnique 59(3):279–282.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Siddiqua, S., and Blatz, J., and Siemens, G. 2011. Investigation of the mechanical behaviour of light and dense backfill material subjected to various pore fluid conditions. Pan-Am CGS Geotechnical conference, Toronto, ON, 2-6 October 2011.
- Siddiqua, S., Priyanto, D., and Blatz, J. 2010. Understating the performance of sealing materials under the influence of groundwater salinity. 63rd Canadian Geotechnical Conference, Calgary, AB, 12-15 September, 2010, 1394-1399.
- Siddiqua, S., Thomas H.R., and Seetharam, S.C. 2010. Thermo-hydraulic-mechanical behaviour of unsaturated soils under high temperature. 6th International Congress on Environmental Geotechnics, New Delhi, India, 8-12 November, 2010, 1654-1659.
- Man, A., Priyanto, D., Siemens, G., and Siddiqua, S. 2010. The effect of pore fluid chemistry on strength and stress-strain behaviour of light and dense backfill material. Paper presented in the 4th International meeting on Clays in Natural & Engineered Barriers for Radioactive Waste Confinement, Nantes, France, March 29 – April 1, 2010.
- Siddiqua, S., and Blatz, J. 2009. Evaluation of the impact of pore fluid properties on the 1D consolidation behaviour of clay based sealing material. 62nd Canadian Geotechnical Conference, Halifax, NS, 21-23 September, 2009, 806-811.
- Siddiqua, S., Thomas H.R., and Seetharam, S.C. 2009. On the inclusion of high temperature effects in the behaviour of buffer material. 62nd Canadian Geotechnical Conference, Halifax, NS, 21-23 September, 2009, 641-645.
- Thomas H.R., Seetharam, S.C., Siddiqua, S., and Vardon, P.J. 2009. On the development of a THM model to include higher temperature effects. In Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Computational Geomechanics (ComGeo I), France, 29 April-01 May 2009, 403-411.
- Siddiqua, S., and Glawe, U. 2005. Study of contaminant migration through soft Bangkok clay. International Workshop in Geoenvironment and Geotechnics, Milos island, Greece, 12-14 September 2005, 189-193.
- Siddiqua, S., and Blatz, J. 2009. One-Dimensional Consolidation Testing on Dense Backfill with Variable Chemical Solution: Distilled Water, NaCl and Mixture of NaCl & CaCl2, Nuclear Waste Management Organization Report, 73 pp.
- Siddiqua, S., and Man. A. 2009. Triaxial Testing for Material Properties of Light and Dense Backfill Saturated with CaCl2 Solution: Status of Work Done in 2009, Nuclear Waste Management Organization Report, 15 pp.
- Thomas, H.R., Cleall, P.J., Seetharam, S., and, Siddiqua, S., 2005. Modeling of Benchmark test THM 1.1.1 Report from GRC, Version 1.0.
Awards and Achievements
- Overseas Research Student Award by UK Secretary of State for Education and Science
- Scholarship support from Cardiff University, UK
- Monbukagaku-sho Scholarship by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of the Govt. of Japan (Declined)
- Visiting student research grant from European Commission funded Asia-Link project
- Scholarship support from Asian Development Bank, Japan
- Merit order scholarship from Khulna University of Engineering & Technology
Last reviewed 11/10/2014 8:46:53 AM
Office: EME 4257
Graduate Students: I am currently looking for graduate students with excellent academic backgrounds. Please send me your CV and transcripts.