Apologies, but no results were found.
Mechanical, ManufacturingOffice: EME4283
Electroless Nickel-Phosphorus coatings; Materials selection in potash brine environment; Properties of Carbon nanotubes
Courses & Teaching
Coating and Protection (Grad) ; Corrosion Engineering (4th Year); Capstone Design (4th Year); Materials Selection (4th Year); Automated Manufacturing (4th Year); Materials Selection (4th Year); Materials Science (3rd year); Engineering Materials (3nd year); Physical Metallurgy (3rd Year); Introduction to Materials Science (2rd year); Statics (1st Year); Dynamics (1st Year); Linear Algebra (1st Year); Engineering Fundamentals (1st Year); Engineering Drawing and CAD/CAM (1st Year); Engineering Design I (1st Year)
Dr. Taheri received his PhD degree from the Department of Mechanical Engineering at University of Saskatchewan 2002. From 2003 to 2006 Dr. Taheri worked for industry and carried out research through capacity of a Post Doctoral Fellow, PDF, with IPSCO, Canada. He is currently a Senior Instructor in the School of Engineering at the University of British Columbia Okanagan.
PhD (Materials Science and Engineering) University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
BSc (Metallurgical Engineering) Isfahan (Ariyamehr) University of Technology
Research Interests & Projects
- Evaluation of microstructure, physical, mechanical and electrochemical properties of Electroless Nickel-Phosphorus (EN) coatings.
This research involved the implementation of various analytical techniques including Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), X-ray diffraction compound analysis, Energy Dispersive Spectrometry (EDS), X-ray diffraction pattern, Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS), Fractography etc. in order to conduct a comprehensive investigation on various properties of EN coatings.
- Materials Selection in Potash Brine Environment
The application and performance of various materials including stainless steels, ceramics, coatings, titanium and high nickel and chromium alloys subjected to severe corrosion and wear in potash brine environment were investigated. Various experiments including reciprocating corrosion and wear, slurry, and weight loss were conducted as a part of this study.
- Properties of Carbon Nano-tubes
Microstructure study of single and multi-wall carbon nano-tubes using TEM.
- Fatigue properties of large diameter pipes subjected to girth welding
Fatigue properties of girth weld pipes were studied by means of Crack Tip Opening Displacement, CTOD. The microstructural changes in Heat Affected Zone (HAZ) were studied using various experimental techniques including SEM, TEM, nano-hardness and fractography.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- H. Mohammadi, A.H. Doulabi, R. Taheri, G. Fradat, Design and Manufacturing of a Novel Polyvinyl Alcohol – Bacterial Cellulose Nanocomposite Polymeric Aortic Heart Valve Prosthesis, Journal of Biomechanics, May 2014.
- R. Taheri, I. N. A. Oguocha, and S. Yannacopoulos, “Microstructure Characterization of Electroless Nip Alloys”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol 44, No. 1 pp 13-22, August 2004.
- R. Taheri, I.N.A. Oguocha and S. Yannacopoulos, “Effect of Coating Parameters and Heat Treatment on the Adhesive Properties of Electroless Ni-P Coatings”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, Vol 43, No. 3 pp 363-370, 2004.
- R. Taheri, I.N.A. Oguocha, and S. Yannacopoulos, “The Tribological Behavior of Electroless Nickel-Phosphorus Coatings”, Wear Journal, Vol. 249, 389-296, 2001.
- R. Taheri, I.N.A. Oguocha, and S. Yannacopoulos, “Effect of Heat treatment on the Age Hardening Behavior of Electroless Nickel-Phosphorus Coatings”, Materials Science and Technology, Vol. 17, 278-284, March 2001.
Conference Presentations, and Industry Reports
- R. Taheri, “Final Prophecy, A provocative perspective on changes in our social paradigm during last few decades”, International Teaching and Research Conference, Alma Mater University, Sibiu, Romania, May 22-25, 2008.
- 33rd American Romanian Academic Art and Science Congress, June 2-7, 2009, Alma Mater University, Sibiu, Romania, “Mind over Matter” A comprehensive study on human mind and how our brain differentiates between reality and virtuality.
- Annual International Scientific Conference of Pedagogic staff and Scientific Researchers, May 22-24, 2008, Alma Mater University, Sibiu, Romania “Final Prophecy”. An overall view on changes in our moral paradigm and the devastating effects facing us.
- R. Taheri, and S. Yannacopoulos, Investigating Fatigue Properties of Welded Pipes Using Crack Tip Opening Displacement, CTOD, Submitted to IPSCO, Regina. July, 2007.
- R. Taheri, “A comprehensive view on Global Warming and its effects on the interdependency of globe”. Third International Knowledge Management, Land Force Academy, Sibiu, Romania, June 11-14, 2007.
- R. Taheri, “Global warming and its signs”, Second International Knowledge Management, Land Force Academy, Sibiu, Romania, Nov., 24-27, 2006.
- R. Taheri, Y. Huang, I. N. A. Oguocha, and S. Yannacopoulos, “Corrosion and Wear Evaluation of None Metallic Materials in Potash Brine”, Saskatoon, International NACE Conference Feb. 2005.
- R. Taheri, Y. Huang, I. N. A. Oguocha, and S. Yannacopoulos, “Corrosion and wear behavior of Electroless Nickel-Phosphorus Coatings in Saturated Potash Brine”, Saskatoon, International NACE Conference Feb. 2005.
- R. Taheri, and S. Yannacopoulos, “Effect of EN Coatings on Fatigue Behavior of Low Carbon Steel Substrate”, First annual mechanical engineering Paper Competition, Queen’s University, Kingston, May, 2002.
- R. Taheri, and S. Yannacopoulos, “Adhesion Properties of Electroless Nickel-Phosphorus (EN) Coatings” COM 2002, Montreal, June 2002.
Selected Grants & Awards
- Pioneer’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, School of Engineering, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 2009
- Honor Role Awards, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 2011-2014
- Teacher of Year Award, School of Engineering, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 2011 and 2014
- Award for Excellence in Teaching and Innovation, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 2015
- Prestigious Golden Apple Award, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 2016
- “I am Accessible” Award, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 2016