Dr. Cigdem Eskicioglu, P.Eng
Postdoctoral – Environmental Engineering (U of Ottawa)
PhD – Environmental Engineering (U of Ottawa)
BSc – Environmental Engineering (Istanbul Tech U)
Dr. Eskicioglu received her B.Sc. in Environmental Engineering from Istanbul Technical University in 1996. Prior to her graduate studies, she has worked for over four years as an Environmental Process Engineer on municipal and industrial wastewater treatment projects in Istanbul. Dr. Eskicioglu completed her Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering at University of Ottawa, Canada in 2006. Upon completion of her Postdoctoral Fellowship at University of Ottawa, she joined the School of Engineering at the University of British Columbia Okanagan as an Assistant Professor in August 2008. Her research program aims to develop innovative biological treatment processes in order to produce cleaner wastewater effluents and biosolids as well as to design reactor facilities to identify bioenergy options for minimized negative environmental impacts through organic waste utilization. Dr. Eskicioglu is the recipient of numerous scholarships and awards, including NSERC Postgraduate, University of Ottawa National Excellence Scholarships and Air & Waste Management Association Doctoral Research Award. She is a registered Professional Engineer in British Columbia and a member of Water Environment Federation (WEF), Canadian Association on Water Quality (CAWQ), Modeling Expert Group of Americas (MEGA), Design of Municipal Treatment Plants (joint force of WEF & ASCE), UBC Clean Energy Research Center (CERC) and Women in Science and Engineering (WISE). She has been recognized with City of Kelowna 2011 Mayor's Environmental and CUFA BC 2012 Early in Career Awards.
- ENGR 347: Environmental Engineering
- ENGR 447: Design of Processes for Water and Wastewater Treatment
- ENGR 446/546: Biological Treatment Processes
- APSC 253: Fluid Mechanics – I
- ENGR 341: Engineering Hydrology
- ENGR 499: Capstone Design Project
- Wastewater and Sludge Treatment
- Pretreatment Technologies for Enhanced Biomethane and Biohydrogen Production from Organic Waste
- Side-stream Nutrient Removal
- Fate and Transformation of Micropollutants during Biological Treatment Processes
- Modeling, Simulation and Optimization of Biological Wastewater/Sludge Treatment Processes
- Waste Minimization and Resource Recovery
Refereed Journal Articles
- Eskicioglu, C., Monlau, F., Barakat, A., Ferrer, I., Kaparaju, P., Trably, E., Carrere, H. (2017) Assessment of hydrothermal pretreatment of various lignocellulosic biomass with CO2catalyst for enhanced methane and hydrogen production. Water Research, 120, 32-42.
- Sole-Bundo, M., Eskicioglu, C., Garfi, M., Carrere, H., Ferrer, I. (2017) Anaerobic co-digestion of microalgal biomass and wheat straw with and without thermo-alkaline pretreatment. Bioresource Technology, available online (DOI: doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2017.03.151).
- Hosseini Koupaie, E., Johnson, T., Eskicioglu, C. (2017) Advanced anaerobic digestion of municipal sludge using a novel and energy-efficient radio frequency pretreatment system. Water Research, 118, 70-81.
- Akgul, D., Cella, M.A., Eskicioglu, C. (2017) Influences of low-energy input microwave and ultrasonic pretreatments on single-stage and temperature-phased anaerobic digestion (TPAD) of municipal wastewater sludge. Energy, 123, 271-282.
- Galvagno, P., Eskicioglu, C., Abel Denee, M. (2016) Biodegradation and chemical precipitation of dissolved nutrients in anaerobically digested dewatering centrate. Water Research, 96, 84-93.
- Ahmad, M., Abel Denee, M., Jiang, H., Eskicioglu, C., Kadota, P., Gregonia, T. (2016) Sequential anaerobic/aerobic digestion for enhanced carbon/nitrogen removal and cake odor reduction. Water Environment Research, available online since February 2016.
- Cella, M.A., Akgul, D., Eskicioglu, C. (2015) Application of microbial viability assays in pretreated municipal sludge to study subsequent effects on anaerobic digestion processes. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 1-14.
- Hosseini Koupaie, E., Eskicioglu, C. (2015) Below and above boiling point comparison of microwave irradiation and conductive heating for municipal sludge digestion under identical heating/cooling profiles. Bioresource Technology, 187, 235-245.
- Wahidunnabi, A.K, Eskicioglu, C. (2014) High pressure homogenization and two-phased anaerobic digestion for enhanced biogas conversion from municipal waste sludge. Water Research, 66, 430-446.
- Hosseini Koupaie, E., Barrantes-Leiva, M., Eskicioglu, C., Dutil, C. (2014) Mesophilic batch anaerobic co-digestion of fruit-juice industrial waste and municipal waste sludge: Process and cost-benefit analysis. Bioresource Technology, 152, 66-73.
- Mehdizadeh, N., Eskicioglu, C., Bobowski, J., Johnson, T. (2013) Conductive heating and microwave hydrolysis under identical heating profiles for advanced anaerobic digestion of municipal sludge. Water Research, 47, 5040-5051.
- Hamid, H., Eskicioglu, C. (2013) Effect of microwave hydrolysis on transformation of steroidal hormones during anaerobic digestion of municipal sludge cake. Water Research, 47, 4966-4977.
- Hamid, H., and Eskicioglu, C. (2012) Fate of estrogenic hormones in wastewater and sludge treatment: A review of properties and analytical detection techniques, Water Research, 46 (18), 5813-5833.
- Saha, M., Eskicioglu, C., Marin, J. (2011) Microwave, ultrasonic, and chemo-thermal pretreatments for enhancing methane potential of pulp mill wastewater treatment sludge. Bioresource Technology, 102(17), 7815-7826.
- Ghorbani, M., and Eskicioglu, C. (2011) Application of the International Water Association Activated Sludge Models (ASMs) to describe aerobic sludge digestion. Environmental Technology, 32(16), 1923-1938.
- Eskicioglu, C., Kennedy, K.J., Marin, J. and Strehler, B. (2011) Anaerobic digestion of whole corn stillage from dry-grind corn ethanol plant under mesophilic and thermophilic conditions. Bioresource Technology, 102(2), 1079-1086.
Peer-reviewed Conference Proceedings:
- Abel-Denee, M., Eskicioglu, C., Galvagno, G. (2017) Using heterogeneous nucleation of struvite to remove dissolved non-reactive phosphorus from sludge dewatering centrate, WEF Nutrient Symposium 2017, June 12 -14, Florida, US.
- Kor Bicakci, G., Abbott, T., Ubay Cokgor, E., Eskicioglu, C. (2017) Effect of microwave pretreatment on removal of triclosan during anaerobic digestion of wastewater treatment sludge, WEFTEC 2017 Annual Technical Exhibition and Conference, Sept 30-Oct 4, Chicago, US, accepted.
- Galvagno, G., Stevens, G., Abel-Denee M., Eskicioglu, C. (2016) Effluent particulate phosphorous fractionation and optimized chemical dosing, WEFTEC 2016 Conference, September 24 -28, New Orleans, US.
- Hosseini Koupaie, E. Eskicioglu, C. (2016) Novel application of radio frequency heating in sludge pretreatment for advanced anaerobic digestion, 2nd IWA Conference on Holistic Sludge Management, June 7-9, Malmo, Sweden.
- Ahmad, M., Abel-Denee, M, Jiang, H. Eskicioglu, C., Kadota, P., Gregonia, T., (2015) Sequential anaerobic/aerobic digestion of mixed sludge from Annacis Island wastewater treatment plant, WEFTEC 2015 Conference and Exhibition, Sept 26 – Sept 30, Chicago, Illinois, US.
- Hosseini Koupaie, E. Eskicioglu, C. (2015) Microwave vs. conventional thermal sludge pretreatment technique: a comprehensive comparison under identical heating/cooling profile, WEFTEC 2015 Conference and Exhibition, Sept 26 – Sept 30, Chicago, Illinois, US.
- Cella, M.A., Akgul, D., Eskicioglu, C. (2015) Application of microbial stains in pre-treated municipal sludge to study subsequent effects on biogas and methane production during anaerobic digestion. WEF/IWA Residuals and Biosolids 2015 Conference, June 7-10, Washington D.C., US.
- Galvagno, G., Eskicioglu, C. (2014) The fate of recalcitrant nutrients through an anaerobic digester & Annamox sidestream teatment process. WEFTEC 2014 Conference and Exhibition, Sept 27- October 1st, 2014, New Orleans, Louisiana, US.
- Wahidunnabi, A.K, Eskicioglu, C. (2014) High pressure homogenization and temperature phased anaerobic digestion for enhanced biogas conversion from municipal waste sludge. WEF Residuals & Biosolids 2014 Conference, May 18-21, 2014, Austin, Texas, US.
- Abbott, T., Eskicioglu, C. (2014) Addition of metal salts to reduce odor causing volatile sulfur compounds and pathogens from anaerobic digestion. WEF Residuals & Biosolids 2014 Conference, May 18-21, 2014, Austin, Texas, US.
- Hamid, H., Eskicioglu, C. (2013) Effect of microwave pretreatment on fate and removal of steroidal hormones during anaerobic digestion of municipal sewage sludge. 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion: Recovering (bio) Resources for the World, June 25-28, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Mehdizadeh, S.N., Eskicioglu, C., Hamid, H. (2013) A comparison of conventional heating and microwave irradiation for enhanced biogas production from municipal biosolids. WEF Residuals and Biosolids 2013 Conference, May 5-8, Nashville, Tennessee, US.
- Eskicioglu, C., Kennedy, Marin, J., and Strehler, B. (2009) Anaerobic digestion of fermentation residues for energy self-sufficient bioethanol plant operation. WEFTEC 2009, 82NDAnnual Technical Exhibition and Conference, Water Environment Federation (WEF), October 10-14, Orlando, Florida, US.
Last reviewed 6/26/2017 11:35:14 PM